My Personal Coffin

My bunk is located on the port side of the SSV Corwith Cramer, the upper and most aft of the six cubbies. Initially I regretted calling this hole my home because of its location in the noisiest part of the boat, the main saloon, where people congregate to eat their meals and talk. In addition, there is no easy way to get into bed since I am a mere five foot four inches. However it is time to reassess this glum logic from thirty days of yore.

1) I hardly ever miss a meal. The galley workers really know how to turn canned produce into excellent food and meals are a great chance to catch up with my shipmates.
2) My bunk is tall enough for me to be able to put on pants without having to lie down like most of my other shipmates.
3) There is a fan inches away from the bottom end of my bunk. Though it blows cool air directly parallel to my bunk, if I dangle half my body off the bunk I can sleep comfortably.
4) Comfy red settees line the edges of the main saloon, including the area right below my bunk. This is convenient for relaxing as well as for when members of A watch come to wake me up. JP or Anna stands on the settee, which allows for optimal hearing and more satisfying wake ups since I can see the face of the person waking me.
5) The lab generator switchbox, located inches away from the top end of my bunk, hums to let me know when science is happening.
6) The water pipe running through the side of my bunk allows for extra hanging space. Along with the wooden pole located outside my bunk for vaulting in, I use the water pipe for damp laundry.
7) My bunk has shelves instead of nets or large, empty spaces. Ideal for organization.
8) The main saloon is centrally located which provides me with superior situational awareness.
9) The only smells are cooking and baking aromas. No greywater stench, head odors or engine room fumes.
10) Six other shipmates share the main saloon as a living space--Maggie, Heart Break, Sarah Sarah Dixon, Beta, Anna and Di--which makes it more entertaining than other spaces on the boat.
11) There is ample room both in my bunk and in the main saloon. Chances of me smashing into something are slim, though that does not mean I don't lose my balance multiple times a day.

Though I am fond of my bunk, I do not enter my space unless necessary. This is due to my aversion to being alone as well as my dislike towards the musty smell. The red curtains, thick enough so that I can change without shame, retain all heat within the small box. It has taken some practice but I can vault into my bunk without bruising my shins, a feat I am proud of. And now six hours of sweaty sleep await me and I look forward to curling up in the dank, yellowing polka dots of my soft mattress until JP sings my name repeatedly or Anna shines a light in my face and yells TRUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment